Monthly Archives: June 2010

Restoring ‘lost’ offline files

So… I was working quite happily on a project I kicked off lastnight, and Visual Studio defaults to saving your project data in “My Documents”. In my particular environment, this is syncronized with Offline Files to a network share.

Feeling pretty pleased with myself I logged in in the morning to take another look but then realised I had to quickly shut down the system. Something went wrong with the syncronization – it didn’t happen.

Getting to work, all of lastnights files were missing as the sync must have happened in the opposite direction(!)
Later on in the day after I’d given up hope and begun to think about how quickly I could rewrite the app, the “Offline Folders” window pops up and in it I see my source files… with “Only local copy exists” (where?)

A bit of googling/headscratching later and I found that you can restore these files.

using csccmd.exe “Client-Side Caching Command-Line Options command-line tool” (!) you can extract files with the status “Only local copy exists” with the following command:

csccmd.exe /extract /target:restoredirectory /recurse /onlymodified

This will scan through the offline files and restore them to a directory of your choice. I’m thinking that other versions of your files or archived offline files must be stored in some kind of binary locally, as a Google Desktop search revealed not a trace of the sourcefiles I was looking for.

….Lesson in this is to commit to Subversion, even if you’ve just started something or don’t think there’s much to put in there yet….

With thanks to JacksonTechnical

Eclipse proxy authentication problems

So… I spent a good half hour today trying to figure out why eclipse wouldn’t connect to the android SDK update site.

Proxy host/port… check.
Proxy authentication… check.
The site exists… check.

No wait, last time I was in there I was sure I’d clicked ‘save’… why isn’t it saving my username and password. I’ve had this problem before when I first started at Orange… took me a good day or two to get my environment fully set up.

After filling it in again and going around the same circle for a little while, and monkeying around with the secure storage section I came across this:

Adding this line to your eclipse.ini will solve the issue:
-Dorg.eclipse.ecf.provider.filetransfer.excludeContributors=org.eclipse.ecf.provider.filetransfer.httpclient

In a few words the above command says that Eclipse can access the web via the *.pac files of the HTTP clients (eg Internet Explorer or Firefox). You’ll still need to enter your proxy settings again, one final time…

With thanks to ‘Comments after the EOF’:
http://cateof.wordpress.com/2010/01/15/eclipse-galileo-proxy-problem-workaround-solution/